Bunch of stuff

A whole bunch of stuff. First some stuff on the Google liberation front: I no longer use Google Font or Google’s HTML5shiv. I host both now locally, and for the fonts I make thankful use of this alternative Google Font index. Just WOFF fonts now, which are supported by anything except Opera Mini, IE <9, and Android Browser <4.4. Acceptable. Now I use only two external scripts: jQuery from their own CDN, and Google’s Feed API for the Feeds page. The first seems a good idea regarding caching (actually, the main reason to use external services, but at least this isn’t a Google service). The second because there’s no good way around it. Although Javascript and jQuery can parse RSS fine, accessing it appears to be problematic (unless my domain would be explicitly allowed to be accessed by my javascripts, it will fail). So an all JS solution seems out of the question, and what rests is a PHP proxy script. I used to have an all PHP script, but the combination with GitHub (which is my host) is problematic too. So, the status quo will remain for now. Perhaps when I finally implement and spin of my Hub idea, I can move it to an external (PHP) host. Speaking of feeds: in lieu of viewtext.orgs downfall, I just discovered Printfriendly, but its javascript parser seems to fail on some of my feeds…

Next up: Nim aka Nimrod, a Pythonesque, Pascalesque language that compiles to C or C++ and inter-operates with the two easily. I should look into this. Perhaps using Vim, after have spent some time on Vimtutor, with Vim Org-mode. Unlike the outdated info on the Vim Plugin page, development seems fairly active. I don’t know how much serious I should take Emacs Org-mode compatibility though. But Vim seems more approachable than Emacs…

/ramblings